Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Week: Day 6 A Special Guest

As it is Christmas Eve I decided to have a special guest to share some of her Christmas traditions.
If you don't know Jenni...then you should!

She is an awesome American living and working in Germany!
I am seriously jealous!

Today Jenni is going to share a few European Christmas Traditions that she has been a part of.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Spending the holidays abroad makes me miss my home (the United States) ever so much.  I miss the seasonal Christmas TV commercials, the radio stations that play Christmas music 24/7 and, you know, my family.  That's why I am incredibly thankful to be celebrating Christmas this year with my family in Oklahoma!

Staying in Europe for Christmas wouldn't have been the end of the world, though.  There are plenty of ways to enjoy the season in Germany and Austria.  My favorite German/Austrian Christmas tradition is attending the lovely little Christmas markets.  

Today I'm sharing some photos of Christmas markets in various cities.


The Nuremberg Christmas market is quite possibly the biggest, most famous market around here. Last year, I went, like, 500 times.  It was well worth it, too.  


The Salzburg Christmas market might be my favorite.  Does this have to do with the fact that Salzburg is my favorite city on earth?  Probably!  It's a magical city -- even more magical at Christmastime.


The Wurzburg market is equally as beautiful as the markets in the aforementioned cities.  Walking from booth to booth, sampling the food, trying the legendary Gluehwein and buying little trinkets for loved ones at home is my favorite way to pass the time there.  

If you haven't ever been to a Christmas market in Germany or Austria, I highly recommend it.  Nuremberg, Salzburg and Wurzburg are all wonderful but you can find a market in nearly every single city.  It's one European tradition that I hope to maintain for years to come! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like an interesting time! I've only spent Christmas in another country once. Thankfully it was still with my family :D They mean everything to me.

I managed to make my famous Christmas treats today and I'll share them with you tomorrow!
But I'm going to bed now to await Christmas Morning!! :D 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love christmas markets :) i spent the first six years of my life in germany so some of my earliest memories have christmas markets in them :)

great post jenni!

merry christmas to both of you!

Jenni Austria Germany said...

thanks for having me! :)
Merry Christmas!!

Unknown said...

love this! I can't get enough of this part of the world.. how wonderful would it be to visit during the holidays!
merry christmas!

anna
www.embracethesunshine.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...